Do you have a friend who is looking to make a job change? They are not alone. A recent GOBankingRates survey found that almost 58% of those surveyed said they’re planning a major job change this year. Job searching can be stressful and disheartening for your friend. What are some practical ways to support them during their search?
The first step is to ask your friend how you can best support them. Do they need help brainstorming career ideas or identifying their transferable skills? Do they need someone to watch their kids while they go to a job interview? Do they just want emotional support? Listening to what your friend needs first will help you identify the best way to offer your help. For example, if your friend just wants emotional support, offer to meet for coffee weekly virtually or in-person. Prepare or order them a meal. You could also get them a gift, such as a gift certificate for a massage or their favorite lunch spot.
If your friend does want help with their job search process, consider the following ways to help them:
- Offer to help them create a personalized banner for their LinkedIn profile.
- Offer to go over their resume with them to find relevant skills that match their dream job.
- Let them know about job positions that match their dream job description.
- Write them a LinkedIn recommendation.
- Attend a networking event with them and help them make new connections.
- Proofread their resume and LinkedIn profile.
- Help them practice for a job interview.
- Gift them a subscription to a job search group like this one.
However, what if you feel limited in the help you can realistically provide for your friend? Another way to help your friend is by helping them find a career coach. A good career coach will want your friend to find their dream job as much as you do and can help your friend with everything that you would like to, such as defining their dream job and creating their job search strategy. A career coach will help them with important aspects of their job search, including interview prep and how to follow up with recruiters.
Think we might be a good fit for your friend? Fill out our refer-a-friend form today and you’ll both get rewarded!